The Critical Applications of Inconel Aerospace Fasteners
Inconel aerospace fasteners are used in some of the most extreme environments in aviation. So, what exactly makes this exotic material so strong and reliable?
What is Inconel?
Inconel is an austenitic nickel-chromium superalloy that stands out for its performance in demanding environments like aircraft exhaust systems and nuclear facilities.
Its exhibits an excellent balance of strength, toughness, corrosion resistance and high thermal stability, which make it particularly desirable material for aerospace fasteners.
As an alloy, Inconel is a mixture of several different kinds of metals. Different kinds of Inconel include different ingredients and are treated in different ways to alter their hardness, strength, ductility, etc. The most common kind of Inconel used in aerospace is Inconel 718 (UNS N07718).
Inconel 718 fasteners contain molybdenum, niobium, iron as well as smaller amounts of titanium and aluminum. These ingredients give Inconel 718 fasteners the exceptional properties – thermal stability and corrosion resistance – that Inconel is known for.
Benefits of Inconel Aerospace Fasteners
- – Exceptional corrosion resistance
- – Withstands temperatures as high as 1,600 °F.
- – Tensile strength of 100,000 psi annealed, 125,000 psi when hard rolled, about twice as strong as Inconel 625
- – Highly resistant to salt water
- – Welds easily in either annealed or aged
- – Can be worked with easily, similar to other corrosion resistant steels
Inconel Aerospace Fasteners are used for:
- – Gas turbine engines
- – Aircraft exhaust systems
- – Airframe parts
- – Spacecraft
- – Rocket motors
- – Nuclear reactors, pumps and tooling
Procure Inconel Aerospace Fasteners from AMI
Aerospace Manufacturing is AS9100 and ISO:9001 accredited and QSLM approved. We manufacture numerous inconel aerospace fasteners, including MS14183L-C7, MS14181-06036L, MS14181-03006, MS14181-H12-120P.
Our unique manufacturing flexibility and expertise gives us nearly unlimited capabilities in customization.